Job Offer: Executive Director of Business and Entrepreneurial Institute #443613:Lamar University
Executive Director of Business and Entrepreneurial Institute #443613Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
Posting DetailsPosting Number: 20112210
Position Title: Executive Director of Business and Entrepreneurial Institute #443613
Employment type: Staff
Department: VP for Finance and Operations Dept
Job Summary/Basic Function: The Executive Director supervises and is responsible for the development and implementation of a strategic vision for the Lamar University Business and Entrepreneurial Institute's mission to bridge LU and the Beaumont/Southeast Texas business community to foster small business development, support for expansion/retooling, business networking, product development, innovation, and research activities. The Director will coordinate partnerships between Beaumont/Southeast Texas small and medium sized businesses to transition technologies, ideas, or products into prosperous start-up companies and dramatically accelerate the early-stage growth. Additionally, the Executive Director will collaborate with other leaders and play a key coordinating function in marketing LU's University Signature Centers (Resiliency, Midstream, Port Management) to federal, state, and local government leaders and local, national, and international business and industry partners.
Create a culture that fosters an inclusive and expansive definition of entrepreneurship and innovation within the academically rooted context of the Schools of Business and Engineering and the Beaumont/Southeast Texas business community. Nurture and expand connections with students and faculty to develop a more substantive integration of the work of the Institute into the broader business community. Promote and represent the Institute with significant professional associations and partner organizations to maintain and expand the University's reputation as a leader at the intersection of entrepreneurship and innovation research and education. Collaborate with LU's University Signature Centers and Colleges to create mutually beneficial opportunities for real world entrepreneurial engagement with students, faculty, and community.
Major Essential Job Functions:
1. Direct the Small Business Development Center, The Texas Manufacturing Assistance Center, and Center for Commercialization and Entrepreneurship and support the Beaumont/Southeast Texas businesses.
2. Play lead function in vetting and evaluation of companies seeking business consulting and support services from LU.
3. Find, meet, track, rank, and monitor a pipeline of prospective technologies from LU and technology-located startups or new businesses in Beaumont area that could be good candidates for BEPI support.
4. Make presentations to prospective LU faculty, students, and companies on the range of support programs available from LU and other sources (e.g., commercialization project funding, grant writing assistance, licensing procedures, entrepreneurial mentoring, showcasing).
5. Establish incubation support and advisory services for faculty, students, and entrepreneurs who are transitioning an innovative ?big idea? into a commercial entity.
6. Manage LU BEPI staff members ensuring they work with prospective companies to identify intersections between the company's R&D needs/plans and potential collaborators from among LU's member faculty and potential capabilities in LU's labs that could be valuable in commercializing a company's technologies or ideas.
7. Lead and provide feedback for the staff evaluation and vetting of funding proposals by ?putting their best foot forward? to the Commercialization Advisory Board including assessment of business strategies, value proposition, customer traction, technology vicapability, market size, and competitive positioning.
8. Assist and advise LU supported startups on their most important startup issues such as executive team formation, Advisory Board and Board of Director formation, customer development, channel strategy, manufacturing strategy, fund raising, and strategic partnering.
9. Build relationships with investors (angel, venture capital, institutional) to encourage their involvement in Beaumont/Southeast Texas and facilitate introductions of entrepreneurs.
10. Assist early-stage companies in building a culture of urgency and developing business strategies using best practices and programs for acceleration startup formation and growth.
11. Research and analyze concerns and means for resolving issues by mentoring inpracticed entrepreneurs in key start up activities related to team formation, strategic marketing, business development, strategic partnering, manufacturing strategy, licensing, and fund raising.
12. Develop a network of qualified managers to fill key functions on startup management teams, including CEO and Board of Directors positions.
13. Conduct outreach, increasing consciousness and knowledge of the Institute's value among key stakeholders and the general public.
14. Promote student innovation and startup support with the Beaumont/Southeast Texas business community.
15. Mentor and develop disruptive, scalable ventures through the commercialization of university technologies and the growth of business client companies.
16. Works with leadership abilities Team to prepare annual budget, strategy, and metrics.
17. Seeks external funds to support the institutes activities through grants, gifts, and other funding activities
18. Monitors, verifies, and authorizes funding as well as vendor invoices to ensure appropriate funding is available and eligible for such funds.
19. Preparing monthly and quarterly activity reports.
20. Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws.
· leadership abilities and strategic planning efforts for all aspects of the BEPI, including community outreach activities.
· knowledge innovation and entrepreneurship initiatives, including workshops, lecture series, networking events, faculty partnerships, courses, student venture creation programs and pipelines to regional and national accelerators.
· Knowledge of RFP process and grant management.
· Interact effectively with people of all backgrounds and multiple units on campus.
· practice designing and facilitating educational engagements of various durations aimed at developing entrepreneurial mindsets and skillsets.
· practice with project and budget management; the capability to simultaneously execute multiple projects effectively and efficiently using data and milestones.
· capability to Develop partnerships with other programs/centers and entrepreneurship organizations to ensure interconnectedness, resource availcapability and visibility.
· capability to represent the BEPI at major campus and off campus events when required.
· capability to adhere to university policy, standard operating procedures, and monitors the agency and/or department for compliance.
· capability to collaborate with internal partners and external third parties effectively, positively, and with professionalism.
· capability to make administrative judgements and provide confidential support on complex sensitive issues.
· capability to collect, analyze, and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
With or without accommodation:
· Constantly sees, hears, sits, types, operates pc, calculator, writes by hand, files, and twists body.
· Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
· Occasional lifting (10 - 15 pounds), pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required.
Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Office environment. Moderate exposure to noise.
Minimum Appropriate qualifications: The ideal candidate will have broad skills and practice in entrepreneurial management in such areas as: community outreach, networking, and communication, business consulting, research and development, product development, licensing, fund raising, incubating, marketing, and general management. The candidate will also demonstrate practice working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Master's degree plus 5-7 years of significant practice and/or an equivalent combination of education and/or practice of startup and entrepreneurial practice.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, discapability or protected veteran status.
Veteran's Preference Statement:
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran candidates in conformity with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.
Preferred Appropriate qualifications: Doctoral degree or MBA and practice working in a higher education setting highly preferred. managery practice required. practice working at the intersection of entrepreneurship and design thinking/human centered design is a plus.
Security Sensitive Statement: This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Work Employment Type:
Posting Date: 09/08/2021
Close Date: 09/29/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Posting Specific QuestionsRequired fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
» * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in conformity with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, candidates must complete and email to email@example.com a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. candidates WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
» Letter of Interest Optional Documents
» Unofficial Transcript 1
» Unofficial Transcript 2