Job Opportunity: Ombudsman:Lamar University
OmbudsmanBelow you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
Posting DetailsPosting Number: 20112209
Position Title: Ombudsman
Employment type: Staff
Department: Prov and VP for Academic Affairs Dept
Job Summary/Basic Function: The Faculty Ombudsman serves as a confidential, neutral, informal and independent resource for faculty concerns and conflicts at Lamar University. As an independent resource for problem solution, the Ombudsman works to ensure that all members of the faculty are treated equitably and fairly. The Ombudsman can provide confidential and informal assistance to help resolve issues related to both the workplace and academic environments.
Independently responsible for all administrative coordination of a program/event/forum or business unit; manages office or department and/or plans and organizes events or conferences; serves as a subject matter expert, principal administrative contact, and liaison for internal and external department or programs; reviews and analyzes procedures and policies; assesses results and implements changes; works under general direction and supervises employees.
Major Essential Job Functions:
» Adheres to the ethical principles of the International Ombudsman Association.
» Acts as a designated neutral, remains unaligned, and impartial; strives to promote procedural fairness in the content and administrate of Texas State's practices, processes, and policies.
» Researches, and analyzes concerns and means for resolving issues.
» Facilitates informal resolution processes. An ombudsman may help to resolve issues between parties through various types of informal mediation.
» Conduct outreach, increasing consciousness and knowledge of the institutional Ombudsman's value among key stakeholders and the general public.
» Keeps current on trends, compliance issues, regulations, and guidelines regarding subject matter.
» Identifies new issues and opportunities for systemic change all over the organizational structure. The unique positioning of the ombudsman serves to provide unfiltered information that can produce insight to issues and resolutions. The ombudsman is a source of early detection of issues providing sourced suggestions for systemic change that will improve existing institutional processes.
» Creates rapport and direct communication with other key organizations and professionals involved in dispute resolution, governance, ethics, and risk mitigation.
» Preparing monthly and quarterly activity reports.
» Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws.
With or without accommodation:
» Constantly sees, hears, sits, types, operates pc, calculator, writes by hand, files, and twists body.
» Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
» Occasional lifting (10 - 15 pounds), pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required.
» Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Office environment. Moderate exposure to noise.
Minimum Appropriate qualifications:
»Tenured Associate Professor or Professor
» Certified Mediator or prosperously attained certification through an Organizational Ombudsman Association.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, discapability or protected veteran status.
Veteran's Preference Statement:
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran candidates in conformity with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.
Preferred Appropriate qualifications: KNOWLEDGE:
· Organizational Knowledge & Networking: of office management principles and procedures to develop systems and processes.
· Technology: Knowledge and proficiency in use of technology including MS Office
· Proficiency: Knowledgeable of current and emerging trends in area of skills.
· Communication : Excellent interpersonal and communication skills at all levels of the organization structure with the capability to work effectively with a wide variety of constituencies in a diverse community.
· Problem-Solving : Advanced skill in identifying issues, collecting, analyzing, and developing strategies towards resolution.
· Conflict Resolution : Progressive knowledge of the elements that aid in facilitating resolution between parties. The ombudsmen may also have the capability to help the inquirer determine which conflict resolution method would be appropriate.
· Policy Analysis & Feedback : Working with internal partners to formulate or modify policy and procedures, raising issues that might surface as result of a gap between stated goals and actual practice.
· Compliance: capability to adhere to university policy, standard operating procedures, and monitors the agency and/or department for compliance.
· Collaboration: capability to collaborate with internal partners and external third parties effectively, positively, and with professionalism.
· capability to make administrative judgements and provide confidential support on complex sensitive issues.
· capability to collect, analyze, and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
Security Sensitive Statement: This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Work Employment Type:
Posting Date: 09/08/2021
Close Date: 09/29/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Posting Specific QuestionsRequired fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
» * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in conformity with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, candidates must complete and email to firstname.lastname@example.org a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. candidates WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
» Curriculum Vitae Optional Documents
» Letter of Interest